Let’s not be last. Here’s all you need to know about the final game of the season and the end-of-season party.
- We are playing Space City Football Club 01B Red. We are the “away” team, and will wear white jerseys, blue shorts, and white socks. As always, however, it is vital to bring both jerseys just in case there is an issue (last week’s game being a prime example).
- The game time is 2pm. We would like everyone to be there by 1:30pm. It is important to arrive the full 30 minutes early to the games. This allows time for your sons to warm up, stretch their muscles and get their bodies ready to play, and for the coaches and trainer to figure out a lineup and discuss tactical issues. Please be aware that the fields are (as always) far away, in Clear Lake (Google maps indicates it is just about 35 minutes from my house).
- The game is being played at Dad’s Club Sports Park field 2B. This is the same park and same field as last week’s game; it looks as though for most of us we will need to get to the Gulf Freeway, either from 59 or 610. You will take the exit for Clear Lake City Blvd/FM 2351 (just a few exits past Beltway 8), and go east (left) on Clear Lake City Blvd. Cross Old Galveston Rd (Hwy 3) and then take your first right at Crescent Landing Drive. Take your next right onto Village Evergreen Trail. The fields and parking lot are on the right. As always, if you follow he01bwhite on Twitter I will be monitoring it so it’s a great way to get info if you’re lost.
Tactics/Things to Work on
- Space City is in last (12th) place, but they can move ahead of us if they win. A victory or a tie on our part keeps us ahead of them. They will be motivated to win; will we?
- We are doing many things well. But we are struggling to score goals. We need to be a little more aggressive, a little more determined in those last 10 yards or so to do whatever it takes to score a goal. This point and the one above are related. It has been my observation (and that of others as well) that we have only been beaten by one superior team; every other game was even in terms of player ability. The only difference in many of the games seemed to be which team wanted to win more. The boys play well when reminded of what to do, but they need to step up and take responsibility for their play, not need to be reminded how to play in every situation. If you want to win, you have to head the ball. If you want to win, you have to use your chest. If you want to win, you have to pass the ball. If you want to win, you have to take good shots. If you want to win, you have to close down your opponent when they have the ball. If you want to win you have to stay in line with your other defenders. If you want to win you have to use your body to put physical pressure on your opponent. If you want to win you have to mark your opponent closely. If you want to win you have to communicate with your teammates. If you want to win you have to run to a place where your teammate can get the ball to you. If you want to win you have to believe in yourself and believe in your teammates.
Do you want to win?
Currently I show every player being available except Noah Ryan and Nicholas Echeverri. Please let me know if there are any changes.
Don’t forget about the party to celebrate the end of the fall season. We will be at Skeeter’s Mesquite Grill, located at 5529 Weslayan St, Houston, TX, starting at 4pm. A map of Skeeter’s is below. I will be handing out prizes for the kid’s performance (hopefully including the autographed Dynamo ball for scoring the first goal off a header); I think it will be a great time so please try to make it.
Dad’s Club Sports Park’s address is 14500 Village Evergreen Trail Houston, TX 77062. There is no rainout number; instead refer to the club website: www.spacecityfc.org (note that on the site the fields are referred to as the Dave Finkle Fields).
And here is a map to Skeeter’s:
View Larger Map